Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Have a look around, read a bit about me! I'm sure you'll find things a little interesting :)

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Immaturity of College students

Ok, this post is on behalf of a girl in my class who has been the recent victim of bullying. I am a 4th semester (2nd year) college student, our course is Early Childhood Education, but there are people in my class who think it's funny to pick on people with disabilities. To talk about them behind their back. To draw crude pictures about them, quoting what they asked in class, and posting that picture on facebook for the WORLD to see. These people are 20 years old, and are supposed to be working with kids.

I'm going to talk about what I witnessed of this myself for this poor girl. I was in the Timmie's line at lunch buying some food. This group of students in my class were about 2 people in front of me. That didn't mean I couldn't hear EXACTLY what they were saying. They started talking rudely about this girl in our class. This girl has a hearing problem and has to ask the teacher to repeat things, or ask for clarification to make sure she had heard right. Well, this group of students are talking shit about it, saying she should stop asking for the teacher to repeat things, and how "if she has problems hearing she should sit closer to the front". These people are supposed to be 20 years old.

It pissed me off so much, but of course I am not brave enough to stand up and tell them to shut the fuck up, and besides it wouldnt have made a difference. ANd besides the fact that they talk shit about others, they ALSO talk constantly in class and laugh or giggle about what other students say or ask. They make it very hard to concentrate in class, and I know for a fact a lot of people are fed up with it. So today a gorup of us sent the teachers an eamil. When I heard they were writing the email, I offered what I heard to be added into the email and consented my name to be placed on it with the others in order for teachers to contact me if need be.

Well, later on in class, another piece of evidence was found, furthering the immaturity of these students. One of them had drawn a picture of 2 of our classmates and quoted, work for word, what they had said in class, in a VERY rude way. When I saw the picture I wanted to get up and slap these people. The picture was included in the email to the teachers.

I can't even begin to explain how DISGUSTED I am with the way these students are acting. One, they are 20 years old, they are not teenagers anymore and are supposed to be MATURE ADULTS! Two, these people want to work with KIDS, but what are they going to do if a child in their centre has a disability? Laugh and make fun of them? These people do not deserve to be in child care if this is the way they act towards other ADULTS. It disgusts me, it sickens me.

Beside's the email we sent to the teachers, there is not much we can do to get this problem solved. You can't force someone to stop talking, but this is HARASSMENT. It is wrong. It is bullying. Bullying in COLLEGE! It's ridiculous.

I can't think of anything else to state at the moment about this, but it pisses me off. I hope the teachers decide to do SOMETHING because it is getting out of hand.

Till later,
Nessie

No comments:

Post a Comment